Winter can play havoc with our normally manicured nails which is why hot oil manicures are a fantastic method to improve conditions such as dry, flaky, brittle nails and dry cuticles. Not to mention helping to rehydrate dry rough hands and increase blood circulation to our fingertips.
Most professional nail salons provide a hot oil treatment as part of a deluxe manicure. But this can be quite costly and too be honest. It’s so easy to do it yourself at home.
An easier home alternative of carrying a hot oil treatment involves using olive oil and almond oil. The great thing about this home treatment is you can perform it weekly during the winter months to keep your nails looking beautiful.
Homemade hot oil treatment
Two parts Olive oil
One part Almond oil
Microwave safe bowl
Soft disposal tissues or cotton wool pads
WARNING: Be extremely careful not to overheat the oil as it can burn the skin.
- Pour the olive oil and almond oil into the microwave safe bowl and stir to mix with a metal spoon.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- This should make the oil lukewarm, we don’t want the oil to be too hot.
- Submerge your finger tips into the oil for 10 minutes. If the bowl can only fit one hand, perform on one hand at a time.
- After ten minutes, remove your hand and massage the oil into the whole hand, paying attention to your nail bed.
- Remove any excess oil with soft tissue or cotton wool pads.
- Finish by moisturising your hands and nails with your favourite hand cream.
Ideally perform this treatment weekly over the winter months.