Theres nothing better than having perfectly manicured fingertips, soon as my nail polish begins to chip away so does my confidence. We can’t all afford to visit our local beauty salon weekly but there is no harm in learning the skills to perform a weekly manicure at home. Not only will you have perfectly manicured nails your friends will envy but your bank account will also benefit too.
If time is limited, try my guide to an express manicure at home.
Time allowed: 1.5 hour
Skill Level: ♥♥
Equipment and Tools needed:
- Manicure bowl
- Hand Towel
- Cuticle Pusher Stick
- Cuticle Nail clippers
- Hand Scrub
- Hand Cream
- 200 grit Nail file
- Cuticle Remover
- Cuticle Oil
- Base Coat Polish
- Coloured Nail Polish
- Top Coat Polish
- Firstly, remove all traces of old nail polish using a non acetone polish remover and a cosmetic pad.
- Apply cuticle remover to the cuticles only. Allow 3 minutes for the product to soak into your nails.
- Next, begin to gently push the cuticles back using a cuticle pusher stick.
- Begin to file the nails to the desired shape using the file in one direction so not to damage the nail plate. Gently, push the nail file down on the end of the nail plate to seal the tips.
- Fill your manicure bowl with lukewarm water and a drop of hand soap. Place one hand at at time into the manicure bowl and leave to soak for a couple of minutes. This will soak away the cuticle remover and soften the dead skin ready for removal.
- Next, apply a hand scrub moist hands and gently massage into the skin using circular movements.
- Place the hand back into the manicure bowl to remove excess scrub and dead skin.
- At this point, check for hangnails and gently remove using the cuticle nail clipper.
- Next, buff the nails using your buffer. Be careful not to over buff the nail surface to avoid burning the nail plate. Gently move the buffer back and forth across the nail to smooth the nail bed to a sheen.
- Apply Cuticle Oil to the cuticles and massage into the cuticles and nail bed. Finish with a relaxing hand massage using your favourite hand cream.
- You may at this stage wish to add a nourishing paraffin wax or hot oil treatment to your hand and nails.
Begin the Polish:
- Gently wipe away any excess hand cream from the nail bed, so the nail is ready to apply polish.
- Apply the base coat thinly to all nails and allow to dry for 1 minute.
- Next, apply the first coat of you chosen nail polish. Apply the brush to the middle of the nail bed, then brush along the left and rights sides to paint the full nail. Allow to dry for two minutes.
- Now, apply the second coat of polish.
- Depending on the colour shade used, the number of coats can vary. You may feel you need to add a third coat if using a pastel shade.
- Tidy and fix any smudges using a cotton wool stick with a touch of nail polish remover to gentle remove.
- Finally, apply the Top Coat nail polish to each nail.
- Allow to dry for at least ten minutes before continuing with everyday activities to avoid smudges.
To learn how to perform a professional Pedicure at home, click here.