Our feet tend to hide away in the winter months but once the summer arrives we love nothing more than to get out our toes. If visiting a nail salon is not your thing, try my professional nail salon inspired home pedicure. Be the envy of your friends with your perfectly pedicured feet.
Time allowed: 1.5 hour.
Skill Level: ♥♥
Equipment and Tools needed:
- Foot Bowl
- Hand Towel
- Cuticle Pusher Stick
- Cuticle Nail clippers
- 200 grit Nail file
- Foot Scrub
- Foot Cream
- Cuticle Remover
- Cuticle Oil
- Base Coat Polish
- Coloured Nail Polish
- Top Coat Polish
- Firstly, remove all traces of old nail polish using a non acetone polish remover and a cotton wool pad.
- Apply cuticle remover to the cuticles only. Allow 3 minutes for the product to soak into your nails.
- Next, begin to gently push the cuticles back using a cuticle pusher stick.
- Begin to file the nails to the desired shape by filing in one direction so not to damage the nail plate. Gently, push the nail file down on the end of the nail plate to seal the tips.
- Fill your foot bowl with Luke warm water and a drop of soap. Place both feet into the bowl and leave to soak for five minutes. This will soak away the cuticle remover and soften the dead skin ready for removal. At this point, sit back and relax.
- Next, apply the foot scrub to feet and gently massage into the skin using circular movements.
- Place the foot back into the bowl to remove excess scrub and dead skin.
- At this point, check for hangnails and gently remove using the cuticle nail clipper.
- Take your feet out of the bowl and pat dry.
- Next, buff the nails using your buffer. Be careful not to over buff the nail surface to avoid burning the nail plate. Gently move the buffer back and forth across the nail to smooth the nail bed to a sheen.
- Apply Cuticle Oil to the cuticles and massage into the cuticles and nail bed. Finish with a relaxing foot massage using your favourite foot cream.
- You may at this stage wish to add a nourishing paraffin wax or hot oil treatment to your feet and nails.
Begin the Polish:
- Gently wipe away any excess cream from the nail bed, so the nail is ready to apply polish.
- Apply the base coat thinly to all nails and allow to dry for 1 minute.
- Next, apply the first coat of you chosen nail polish. Apply the brush to the middle of the nail bed, then brush along the left and rights sides to paint the full nail. Allow to dry for two minutes.
- Now, apply the second coat of polish.
- Depending on the colour shade used, the number of coats can vary (link to page). You may feel you need to add a third coat if using a pastel shade.
- Fancy a French Polish, Parisan Polish or Nail Art? Follow my how to guides for advice.
- Tidy and fix any smudges using a cotton wool stick with a touch of nail polish remover to gentle remove.
- Finally, apply the top coat nail polish to each nail.
- Allow to dry for at least ten minutes before continuing with everyday activities to avoid smudges.
To learn how to create the professional manicure at home, click here.